Thursday, April 30, 2009

Grand Finale

well, i've been home for almost a week now, but i am still in denial so i've been putting off writing my final entry. 

my last week in australia was amazing, and made me never want to leave. i had three finals, two that i had to go to and one that i took online. other than that i pretty much chilled with my friends pretty hard, savoring our last moments in the sun. we laid out on the balcony and tanned every day, went down to the pool, to the beach... the usual and all the things i am missing so terribly right now. 

on friday kathleen's parents came and on saturday they drove us to burleigh heads beach and then brought us over to their apartment in surfers for some good eats. i loved having family visits. saturday was my very last night in australia, and i had to be on the bus to the airport at 5:30 a.m. so obviously i decided to just stay up and go out instead of sleeping, as i would have plenty of time to sleep on the 13 hour plane ride home, and only one last night with my friends in oz. so we went out to fiddler's and then ruby tramp, a live music irish pub and then a nightclub; the usual night in surfers.. haha.

it was a terrific last night except for when i fell into a man hole. here is what happened: i walking and texting (don't do this at home) and my friend bill was trying to get my attention but i was not really paying attention. when i finally looked up at him, it was too late. i fell into a hole. it was painful, and probably ridiculously embarrassing, but i have some pretty bad ass bruises to show for it. ask to see them. i may show you. i had to force everyone to leave around 4:30 so i could get back to school and pack up and get on the bus. luckily one of the girls i with got kicked out around that time for dancing shoe-less on a table and trying to steal a picture off of the wall.  

so i said all my tearful (and by tearful, i mean i was crying on the inside) goodbyes and got on the bus, still in a state of toxic delirium.  i passed out, and arrived an hour later at the brisbane airport. luckily none of the girls i was flying with had gone out the night before so they could help me re pack my bags when they were over the weight limit and the lady wouldn't just let me pay for the extra weight. i was a messss...

however, my sunday travels were far from over. our flight to LAX was supposed to leave at 9:50 a.m. but got delayed until 11:30. we made it to LA 1 1/2 hours late and missed our connecting flight to chicago so we got put on standby, but sunday is a ridiculous day to try to get to chicago so we didn't get out of LAX until 2:00 p.m. (that's 5 hours later, in case you were confused by the time difference). however, when we got to chicago we found out that our original flight from chicago to green bay had already been cancelled because of the weather conditions so we wouldn't have made it out that night anyway. well, we had had enough traveling after 31 hours and just wanted to go home. so kathryn, alicia, and i took a 1 1/2 bus ride to milwaukee where my mom picked me up and drove me 4 hours home. 

that brings us to approximately 5 a.m. on monday. no worries though, i wasn't even a little tired as in my mind/body it was only 8p.m. (australian time). needless to say the jeglag has been killing me all week, and i've been really sick, hopefully not with the swine flu. i miss australia terribly already and am just trying not to think about it too much at this point. i am super excited to see all my friends in ripon this weekend, and to turn 21. honestly it's the only thing keeping me going...

peace & loves.

1 comment:

  1. i dont think i can even remember what home was like....
    i cant wait to see you, and although you miss it, im glad you're going to be back.

    ReplyDelete